Recently, an interesting article flashed on the screen of my iPad. It was a very timely article considering my 50th birthday was just a few days away, and I’d been wanting to reflect on the meaning of this milestone.
The article was about the world’s oldest living person, Emma Morano. Emma turned 117 on November 29th. Curious to know her secret, I read on. Surprisingly, she traces her longevity to two simple things – raw eggs and no regrets. Emma was married once, but it was an unhappy marriage. So in 1938, she divorced her husband and has been single ever since.
Now, it seems a little bit of luck is at play here as well. Needless to say, it is extremely rare to make it to 100, much less 117! Actually, there are only about 300 centenarians world wide at any given time.
When it comes to a typical person’s aging, approximately 75 percent is determined by environment and behavior, and the remaining 25 percent is left to genes. But once a person reaches the age of 100, that ratio is reversed, and the role of genes becomes more important. In other words, it seems that centenarians have the “right” variation of genes, an incredibly rare paring, as rare as winning the lottery.
While my wish is to be a centenarian some day, I’m not sure I’ve got those genes or luck. Only time will tell. But if I do live to 100, I hope that the next 50 years are happy, healthy, and that I am at peace with myself and the world around me.
At first, turning 50 seemed harder than any other number that came before it because I realize that I’m either close to or have surpassed my half way point. While that sounds obvious, it is quite eye opening and demands a shift in perspective.
Here’s a few of my thoughts around that shift for me (stated as “I need to….. because they are active intentions:) )
I need to accept that I will wrinkle, droop and slow down. I need to look past what I see (those cottage cheese arms and legs….) and dive into energy and feelings, mine and others. I need to honor my body and soul with more mindful presence. I need to trust and believe in a power greater than myself. I need to surrender any and all control. I need ask for what I want to see in this world and actively pray on it. I need to breathe in the love around me. I need to be guided by my intuition. I need to pulse with the peaceful energy of the universe. I need to listen to the spiritual messages that await my awakening. I need to fully embrace me. I need to love myself with the greatest possible vigor, to love all of me, especially the soul of me.
My dream is to love the world back to health. I hope to learn more about people in every walk of life, their battles and breakthroughs. My deep desire is to help others feel stronger in the face of adversity, bad health or unhappy relationships. And to motivate them to honor their body and spirit with the same unconditional love that I give mine.
I crave the strength to fight for what I believe in, to write and speak passionately, and to empower others with those messages. I want to feel vulnerable and dance until I’m lost in the music.
I remind myself that I am always free to be me.
It’s very possible I’ve lived over half my human, mortal life…..
And yet, I feel more alive than ever.