It’s January and with the arrival of the new year, my thoughts buzz with the promise of new beginnings.
My energy soars as I impulsively dive into the thrill of a fresh start.
Yet, in the midst of the flurry of excitement, I forget one very important thing.
The New Year comes at the end of the holidays, and the holidays are all about giving. I don’t mean just gifts, I mean the energy of giving. As a result, my body, mind and spirit are all drained from the holiday hustle starting with hosting Thanksgiving all the way through New Years.
So I’ve decided to pull back the reins. Instead of sprinting into the new year, I’m going to challenge myself (and you) to focus on nurturing my body with rest and reconnection.
Here’s a few ideas on how to tune into your body, replenish and restore:
- Eat nourishing, clean, warming foods. Think soups instead of salads. Ditch the snacks and sugar.
- Cherish every bite knowing there is always more and always enough
- Lean into the season – get cozy indoors. Enjoying the more slow paced and restful energy of winter
- Spend Sunday afternoon in the kitchen, try 1-3 new recipes this month
- Tune into yourself daily by journaling (5-20 minutes), meditation (5 minutes) and/or deep breaths (1 minute)
- Diffuse essential oils to induce relaxation and bring uplifting energy indoors
- Light a fire or a candle to sparkle warm light into your work or creative space
- Create a practice of gratitude, focus on all the good in every day
- Focus on being present in the moment, mindful of the beauty and love surrounding you
My advice is to do these things even if you feel like you “should” be doing something else. Give yourself permission to reserve some time for just you every day. Create a new ritual just for you, where you feel free to spend some time alone, connecting inward.
In nurturing you, you also nurture those whose lives you touch. This is not selfish. In face it is quite the opposite because the loving kindness towards self ends up rippling outward to others……and it always all comes back with more LOVE!